Foreshortening Finished

Challenge completed, and boy was it a challenge! I think I repainted the little finger on the right about 3 times to get it to stop looking broken. That is the beauty of acrylics – you can paint and overpaint until you are happy with the result.

I started this 16×12″ canvas board with a few coats of Deep Violet no 403 – Daler Rowney’s System 3 acrylic paint. It’s a gorgeous colour that I hope to get some more of as I’ve currently run out!

Then I sketched a rough outline from my reference photos using watercolour pencils. This outline will then dissolve easily when I apply the first washes to the primed canvas, unlike graphite pencil which would require rubbing out or leave grey streaks that would muddy the paint

WP_20150715_23_02_37_Pro

Then I completed a rough under painting to help see where the darkest darks and lightest lights were…

WP_20150716_22_53_49_Pro

Then began the painting proper, gradually building up the layers. It was at this stage that I noticed the problem with the little finger on the right of the painting….
WP_20150719_14_41_37_Pro

…..which I corrected while building up the layers and details of the hands.

WP_20150721_12_32_11_Pro

And after adding a subtle shine to the fingernails and some sparks of electricity here is the finished result. What do you think?

July WC

Advertisements
This entry was published on August 11, 2015 at 8:50 pm. It’s filed under Acrylic, Art, Different Strokes Challenge, Paint, Wet Canvas and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: